New Ticket to Ride Map Collection – The Heart of Africa

New expansion explores the heart of the continent with new Terrain cards that can double the value of your train routes.

Days of Wonder announces the upcoming release of the 3rd volume in the Ticket to Ride Map Collection – The Heart of Africa. Set in the vast wilderness of Africa at the height of its exploration by intrepid explorers, missionaries and adventurers, this new single-sided board map focuses on the central and southern “heart” of the continent displayed in a vertical map format.

This new map expansion also introduces 45 new Terrain Cards, divided into 3 different Terrain Types. Each Terrain Type is associated with different Route colors: Desert/Savanna cards for Yellow, Orange and Red Routes; Jungle/Forest cards for Green, Blue and Purple Routes; and Mountain/Cliff cards for Black, White and Grey Routes. Players can draw Terrain cards just like Train cards and may use these to double the value of the routes they claim, under certain conditions.

Ticket to Ride Map Collection 3 – The Heart of Africa includes 48 Destination Tickets, new Terrain Cards and multi-lingual Rules booklet. Designed for 2-5 players, ages 8+, this expansion takes 30-60 minutes and is played using Train cards and Trains from either Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride Europe. It is expected to be available worldwide in early December at a retail price of $25/€25.

For more info visit the Ticket to Ride Map Collection 3 – The Heart of Africa web page: http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/maps/africa

24 Responses to “New Ticket to Ride Map Collection – The Heart of Africa”

1. Kyle says:

It sounds like fun, and I’m sure I will buy it. But I wish they wouldn’t announce these things so long before they are ready for sale.

2. Dean says:

Single sided board?

• Mike says:

Too bad. One of the best values about the other two volumes was having two boards in one. Without the plastic trains and train cards included in the box, and only a single sided board, the price should be $12-$15 USD. How hard would that have been to keep going?

3. Derek Thompson says:

I don’t know; personally, I love being informed well in advance. So excited!

4. Thomas says:

Sure would be nice if the other/future boards are double sided, since I gather there were QUITE a lot of submissions from last years contest.

Plus there are quite a bit of fan creation boards as well, so there would be a lot to choose from.

• Fomalhaut says:

I totally agree!

Until DoW understand that we are right (*smile*), we could all take a fan-created map, print it, and glue it to the back side of this one. Or even better than “taking” a map – create our own!

5. Carl says:

This is a pass at $25. The other expansions were priced right, but with only half as much content here, this is definitely a pass.

6. Thunderbear says:

New Ticket to Ride Map COLLECTION – The Heart of Africa, is what it says, COLLECTION!!!! How can it be a collection if it is only one map?

• Preston says:

I don’t think you read it correctly. It clearly states it’s the “3rd volume in the Ticket to Ride Map Collection,” meaning Asia was the 1st and India was the 2nd. This can be a part of the collection even if it is only one map.

7. Shark says:

I am sure I will be buying this expansion even if it is $25, but I do agree that it seems like less bang for my buck.

It would be cool if the other side could include North Africa.

8. formerteach says:

We have the full collection of Ticket to Ride games and are very excited to try out Africa. Really need to replace the train cards now. When will they be available in US? Ours are worn out!

• Jesse says:

I believe the cards are already available in the US. Aren’t they in the store area?

• formerteach says:

They have been listed in the store for over a year but have not been available. They are available in the European store but it is impossible to buy them from the US. Very frustrating!

• Jesse says:

Here’s what the store says right now: Multilingual version is on back-order until 12/31/2012.

That seems like a good sign! Or has that message been there for a while?

9. Angie says:

Coming to an IPad soon?

10. Yen says:

Why not putting Nordic Countries on the back side of Africa?
    so sad…

11. Victor says:

Uff, pues si es un mapa de una sola cara………….este no lo compraré, me parece demasiado caro para ser un único mapa, y tampoco le veo muy novedoso con todos los juegos nuevos que hay ahora, esperaré a ver si el proximo año vuelven a salir las dos caras del mapa.
    SAludos

12. Geo says:

only one map for €25… Too expensive, I will not buy it

13. Shawn says:

I’m really disappointed with how Days decided to publish these map collections. Collection #2 should have been switzerland and nordic
    Collection #3 should have been africa and india
    By doing it the way they did they pretty much guaranteed that I’ll never own India (since I already own the swiss map). And then reverting back to single sided maps after two double sided ones, makes people feel ripped off lessening the chances that I’ll buy that one.

Just a really poor decision for such a great company with such great games.

• Mikhail says:

Yes, this is really disappointing

• Fomalhaut says:

A suggestion (although not my own, but rather something a read at a thread at Boardgamegeek), is to trade the Swiss map you have, or give to a friend, and then buy the India/Switzerland expansion for yourself.

But I can agree with you, that you have a point (or many). :)

14. Nibbler says:

The only reason why I did not buy India was becuase I had Switzerland already. Now they release Africa without teamplay board kind of defeats the purpose.

Well I will try it out at Essen and see if it is worthwhile acquiring.

In the end I bought Legendary Asia while my gaming buddy bought India so bewteen us we hold a nice TtR collection