It’s a Small World after all…

… but depending on its inhabitants, sometimes a small world isn’t all that friendly!

Days of Wonder announces Small World – a slightly-zany, light-hearted civilization game in which 2-5 players vie for conquest and control of a board that is simply too small to accommodate them all!

Small World, a game by Philippe Keyaerts

Over the past two weeks we’ve introduced you to the 14 different races who scramble to survive in the unforgiving lands of Small World. Designed by Philippe Keyaerts, as the fantasy follow-up to his award-winning Vinci, Small World is inhabited by this cast of characters – dwarves, wizards, amazons, giants, orcs, humans and more – who use their troops to occupy territory and conquer adjacent lands in order to push the other races off the face of the earth in the hope that they will rise to the top of this brutal land grab!

Small World will be available in English, French and German. It is expected to be available in Europe in early April and in North America in late April or early May.

Over the next weeks we’ll be unveiling more details about the game, how it plays, and the rules. But first… An introduction to the Small World board game.

14 Responses to “It’s a Small World after all…”

1. rasmussen81 says:

Very interesting. I look forward to reading more about the game and I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed to win the free game through the BGG competition.

2. Andrea says:

🙂

3. Daniel Brown says:

Oh my, a real euro game DoW style. Vinci is a great euro that will hold this theme well. I am looking forward to this.

I really recommend listing to Mark Johnson’s podcast All about Vinci which will help you understand the game and how cool it is.

Enjoy

4. Josh (jgreys) says:

Thanks for the link, Daniel!

Looking at the preview… The picture of the little Ratmen attacking the human, and the thought of them controlling a dragon, cracks me up. I’m definitely interested. 🙂

5. Kjetil says:

…is this a version of Britannia?

6. Daniel Brown says:

“…is this a version of Britannia?”

No, it is not. But, I must confess that I have had little experience with Britannia in my 30 years of gaming. Maybe some one more familiar with this Avalon Hill classic can talk to the similarities.

7. Cartoon Vinci says:

Lawl … Two weeks of teasers and it turns out to be a re-theme of a 10-year-old title. That’s priceless.

Oh, well, at least they made a good choice. Vinci is a pretty strong game, and DoW will doubtless put out a very high-quality product with nice bits, a full-color rulebook, etc.

8. Chris says:

kjetil – This is a version of Vinci, which is often called “History of the World Light”, and History of the World is very similar to Britannia.

However, Vinci is much, much better than Britannia.

9. Kjetil says:

Cool! …im looking forward to this one – as usual with the DoW games

10. Carlos Ocaña says:

Well, I’m completely sold.

11. John N says:

Vinci is supposed to be a great game, and this retheming sounds fantastic to me. Add the DoW tag and I am first in line!

12. Nibbler says:

I can’t wait for it! I am drooling more than the picture of the Ghoul!

Can we have more details about the BGG competition?

13. All the details (and the competition’s start) are coming tomorrow, Wednesday, January 28 on http://www.boardgamegeek.com

14. S. Dahl says:

I’m so glad it is for two players. There need to be more good two player games!