One of the benefits that will follow from the introduction of Call to Arms into the game system is the capability it gives us to progressively introduce new, truly specialized, units into the game. This will all start becoming apparent when the first Specialist packs start shipping in late June/early July.
The Specialist cards (not Deployment cards, as ventured by several careful readers who got a sneak peak at the packs’ content) will be the primary vector of deployment of these new units. Using these will give us – and you – numerous benefits, namely:
- the certainty to be able to deploy specific units (for instance, precisely the ones you just purchased) into a given battle without being subject to the luck of the draw;
- some interesting dilemna, since by design, at most you will be able to bring 2, and only 2, Specialist cards (and the new units attached to them) into play in any given adventure; many interesting “combos” are waiting to be “discovered”, that will favor different styles of play;
- an inherent balance, since even if your opponent has purchased many new, cool units, he won’t be able to field them all at once, making an “out-purchase” strategy all but useless on the battlefield;
- finally, this also gives us an additional cool venue to differentiate units further between themselves, based on races, tribes, etc…; in some instances, the Specialist card(s) a unit comes with will turn out to be a key differentiating factor in and of itself indeed.
All of which brings us to one of the first truly distinctive unit we will introduce: the Goblin band!
As any Goblin chief will tell you, nothing works better to rally a few fellow tribal units than the beat of a drum on the battlefield.
Goblin musicians can be fielded in one of two ways:
- As a complete Goblin band, made of a Goblin band leader and three drummers, the band gives a widespread Support presence (half of the support that is required for a unit to be fully supported, hence Bold) to all friendly units within the same Section of the board.
- But as individual drummers, embedded in existing Goblinoid troops on foot, each drummer makes the troop he joined Bold.
This later mechanism (embedding a Specialist figure within a different unit) is itself a trick that opens the door to many other things down the road…
Next blog entry: A Surprise (with any luck)!